Using garlic oil for ear infection is an effective home remedy for ear relief. It is a proven natural alternative to conventional medicine. Here’s how to make and use garlic oil to get rid of ear infections fast.
Most scientific studies have studied allicin- a component found in garlic and found it to be effective against some types of bacteria. Garlic is oil for ear infection can be used in form of garlic drops, garlic oil or garlic mullein oil to treat ear infections.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:
Table of Contents
- Does garlic oil help cure ear infections or is garlic oil good for ear infections?
- How to Make Garlic Oil for Ear Infection
- How to Use Garlic Oil for Ear Infection in Children and Adults
- Mullein garlic oil to relieve ear pain
Does garlic oil help cure ear infections or is garlic oil good for ear infections?
The ear is divided into 3 parts, the outer ear, the middle ear where most infections occur and the inner ear which control nerves and balance.
Ear infection is a common problem. Accumulation of fluids in the middle ear traps microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses which are the most common causative agents of ear infection. Garlic, just like olive oil for earache has many medicinal properties. It is an effective herb that has long been used as an alternative remedy for ear pain and ear infection. It belongs to the same family as onion with lots of sulfur compounds that have potent antibiotic properties.
Allicin– a compound found in garlic possesses potent antimicrobial properties that work against infection causing organism to treat infection in the middle ear. The antiseptic and inflammatory properties are easily absorbed to the skin of the ear drum to reduce inflammation and pain.
Fresh garlic is also high in antioxidants that prevent cell damage in the eardrum and also regenerate new ones in place of those that are damaged and inflamed in the course of the infection. For better treatment results, it is best to use fresh garlic because it has high potency. Dried or packaged garlic is destroyed by heating in the manufacturing process diminishing the healing power of the active compounds.
Garlic oil for ear infection has been reviewed in many natural medicine forums with documentations on how to make and use this oil for natural treatment of ear infections. According to Smart Medicine for Healthier Living by Janet Zand, garlic is an antibacterial that can help ear infection. In the Complete Guide to Natural Medicine by Tom Monte, garlic oil is safe for children and can be placed in the ear once a day to help cure ear infections.
How to Make Garlic Oil for Ear Infection
If you ever had to wake up at night because of a crazy earache or even had a child wake you up because they can’t sleep, then you know that a good earache remedy is what everyone should have in their medicine cabinet for immediate relief. Using garlic oil for ear infection may calm ear pain enable you to sleep and keep you off the doctor’s visit altogether. Knowing how to make garlic oil for ear infection is very easy with various DIY recipes. All you require are the right ingredients and some good knowledge on how to use garlic oil for ear infection without destroying the active properties.
Here is how to make warm garlic oil eardrops for ear infection;
- Peel and chop/crush raw garlic
- Place it in a bowl and add olive oil to it
- Place it in the microwave and allow it to cook for 1 minute
- Stain off the pieces of garlic
- Allow it to cool to body temperature before using it
- Boil some olive oil in a pot
- Add in some fresh crushed cloves of garlic
- Allow it to simmer well- 3 minutes, until the garlic juice blends well with the oil
- Turn off the flame and let the garlic oil cool to body temperature
- Strain off the pieces of garlic using a cheesecloth
- Preserve this oil and cover tightly with a seal and place in the refrigerator
- Garlic oil made using this technique can be used for as long as 3 weeks since preparation
Note: do not heat the garlic too much so as not to destroy the active components
- In a jar with a tight lid, pour some olive oil and add in fresh cloves of garlic
- Cover tightly and let it sit in a warm place for a week
- Separate the garlic pieces from the oil
- Store in a dropper bottle for future use
Making garlic oil using this procedure allows it to remain effective for a longer period of time. You can use this garlic oil for a week since preparation.
For all these garlic oil recipes, olive oil is the preferred base oil as it is safe to be used on the sensitive skin of the middle ear. Olive oil is easily absorbed by the skin- it lubricates and soothes the inflammation.
Both garlic and olive oil are rich in antioxidants and possess antimicrobial properties that cure ear infections fast. Mustard oil can also be used in the same way to make garlic oil drops for ear infection.
While garlic essential oil can be bought from the store, it is best to DIY at home just so you make sure that the ingredients are fresh enough to retain potency and effectiveness of this garlic ear infection remedy.
How to Use Garlic Juice for Ear Infection
- Take a few fresh cloves of garlic and crush them
- Place the crushed garlic on cheesecloth and squeeze out the garlic juice
- Add 5 parts of water for every part of garlic juice
Garlic juice can be stinging or painful when applied to inflamed skin, diluting it with water makes it even more bearable. For children and adults with sensitive skin, more dilution may be required.
Garlic and Salt for Ear Infection
- Boil 3-4 cloves of garlic for a few minutes to soften them
- Mash them to make a paste and add some salt to the paste
- Place this paste on a cloth and wrap it
- Place the medicated cloth in the ear and leave it for 15-30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure till you get ear relief
Course sea salt is a great product in treating ear pain a common symptom of ear infection. Salt retains heat and when placed against the affected area, it creates a shift in pressure relieving the inner ear of pressure that builds up due to fluid accumulation.
The good thing with using garlic oil for ear infection is the fact that there are so many ways you can use this herb to make effective natural treatments for ear infection.
How to Use Garlic Oil for Ear Infection in Children and Adults
Following the procedures discussed above, garlic oil can be made for future use especially when you have children with frequent ear infections. Garlic oil is safe for use on the sensitive skin of the baby- it is however recommended that you check with the pediatrician before using garlic oil in the ear especially if your child is prone to frequent ear infections. Do not place any garlic oil drops in your child’s ear if there is any form of discharge or objects stuck in the ear.
Garlic is best when used in oil form as compared to garlic juice to treat ear infections. This is because garlic juice can be a little stinging and cause pain when it gets in contact with the sensitive skin of the infant. Garlic oil is safe and effective relief for ear infections in children. However, if the symptoms persist more than two days even with treatment, you should consult your doctor for examination and prompt treatment.
Dr. Sears on Ear Infections in Children recommends the use of warm olive oil, vegetable oil or garlic oil to treat ear infections in children.
- Warm the pre-prepared garlic oil to body temperature
- Test it by placing it at the back of your hand
- Let the baby lie on the side and use a dropper to gently place 2-3 drops of garlic oil in the baby’s ear
- Distract the baby for a minute to allow for absorption of the garlic oil
- Do this twice daily for 3 days or until there is relief- in 48 hours
How often can I use garlic oil to treat Ear Infections?
There is no limitation to how frequent one can use garlic oil for ear infection but due to the fear of drowning the ear drum especially in cases of fluid accumulation in the ear it is best to limit the frequency to 3 times a day.
Drowning the ear drum may increase the pressure in the ear drum and cause rupture of the tympanic membrane. To relieve pain and alleviate ear infection, the recommended dose is 2-3 drops. This dose can however be increased in adults.
Mullein garlic oil to relieve ear pain
Garlic in its natural juice form or in form of oil is very effective and beneficial in treatment of ear infection. However, there are ways in which you can make this remedy work even better by blending it with other herbs like Mullein flowers or St. Johnswort flowers.
- Add mullein flowers, Calendula and St. Johnswort flowers into a bowl
- Peel and chop the fresh garlic and add it into the bowl
- Add in some olive oil and gently warm the mixture for 15 minutes to speed up the blending
- Strain off the herbs and retain the oil
Alternatively, you can purchase ready-made garlic oil drops for ear infections. An example of Mullein Garlic Pure Ear Oil from Herb Pharm contains all these ingredients and is also packaged in a small bottle with a dropper for easy use.
Garlic is considered safe by the US Food and Drug Administration. There are however side effects that can come with use of garlic on the ear for infections; stinging, skin rash and vertigo.
Garlic is known to cause allergic reactions and can aggravate asthma. It should be taken with caution in people who have previously developed skin rashes when in contact with garlic.
- Hot oil can cause severe scalding. Try to prepare Garlic oil early enough to allow it cool.
- Garlic oil drops should be warmed to body temperature- too hot or too cold ear drops can cause dizziness or vertigo
- Do not use any ear drops if there is any form of discharge- blood or pus