Stretch marks on back can appear as horizontal or small vertical stripes. They can be on the upper back near shoulders or even on the lower back, around love handles (if any) and the waist. Here are the causes and how to get rid of back stretch marks fast and naturally.
Stretch marks on back, also known as Striae distensae show on the body as bands of parallel lines on the skin surface. The lines appearing on the skin are of different colors and texture from the ones found on the normal skin, and may range from bright pink to purple to light gray.
If you were to touch the stretch marks using your fingers, there is a possibility that you might feel a slight indentation or ridge on the skin. At times, they can feel sore or itchy.
The lines commonly appear in pregnant women or after birth or when the body has experienced a sudden change in weight. It is also common for them to appear in adolescents who are still growing. The lines are not dangerous and will often disappear after a while on their own.
The stretch marks can appear on any part of the body, though they are most common in the upper arms, stomach, breasts, buttocks, and thighs.
Who is at a higher risk of developing stretch marks?
If you have the following, it puts you at greater risk of developing the stretch marks:
- If you are a woman
- Being Caucasian due to the pale skin
- Have a family history of stretch marks
- If you are pregnant
- Your family has a history of developing large babies or twins
- If you are obese or overweight
- Have experienced dramatic weight loss
- You are currently using corticosteroid medications
Having looked at the risk factors, let us now look at what causes the stretch marks.
What causes stretch marks on lower back?
The causes of stretch marks are much associated with weight gain. Growth spurts especially during puberty in both males and females cause silver stripes in teenagers. These may further grow into white stretch marks and even purple stripes. Here are further causes.
1. Weight lifting and bodybuilding causes shoulder stretch marks
Body building and people who start gaining muscle mass at a very quick pace e.g. athletes can expect to notice stretch marks starting to form on their bodies, even though they may be in top condition.
It is the main reason why stretch marks on back cannot be used as a method of identifying obesity or rapid weight gain, given that they also occur in people who are in top physical condition.
The reason for their appearance on body builders is that the muscles under their skin surfaces are growing too fast for their skin to be able to handle it.
A person who has been affected by stretch marks on back because of bodybuilding will usually see scarring in the area surrounding the shoulders and the arms.
2. Growth spurts cause stretch marks on back of teenagers
For a teenager, finding stretch marks on back can be quite alarming, especially when one is not overweight and has not experienced any rapid weight gain at any point since birth.
The only explanation for the appearance of these lines on teenagers is because of their rapid growth, especially during their puberty phase.
Just like in obesity and rapid weight gain, every time the body expands or grows faster than the skin elasticity can handle, the stretch marks will start to appear.
3. Pregnancy stretch marks on lower back
In women, pregnancy is the most predominant cause of the stretch marks on back. Given that the woman’s stomach is expanding at a very fast pace during her pregnancy, there is a likelihood that she will develop stretch marks on the back and on her belly.
When a woman has multiple pregnancies, it leads to the formation of new lines after each pregnancy is complete.
4. Marfan syndrome
Marfan syndrome is caused by a flawed genetic material in the body that affects the connective tissues found in parts such as the skin.
The syndrome weakens the connective tissues and has an effect on their ability to stretch, making the skin less resistant to stretch marks on back as it should be.
When you have this syndrome, the lines are likely to appear in your lower back, hip, or shoulders, even though the condition may cause other symptoms such as problems with your vision.
5. Cushing’s syndrome
The syndrome occurs when your body produces too much cortisol, which is the hormone that makes some individuals more prone to the lines.
When too much cortisol is produced, your body can display symptoms such as:
- Back pain
- Weight gain
- Excessive body and facial hair
The stretch marks on the back caused by Cushing’s syndrome tend to be dark in color and are very noticeable.
Hormonal imbalances are the leading cause of stretch marks on back. Since there are changes in hormone levels when one is in puberty, pregnant, obese or bodybuilding, it becomes hard to pinpoint the particular factor to blame for the appearance of these stretch marks.
Hormonal imbalances occurring during these times can cause elastin and collagen fibers to tear and overstretch the skin, and thus causing the appearance of stretch marks on back.
How to prevent stretch marks on back
Regrettably, the lines have an affinity to remain on your body even after you have lost weight and given birth.
The most important thing that you can do is to enact preventive measures to ensure that they do not come back, or increase. The measures to prevent stretch marks include:
- Apply topical ointments that are rich in Vitamin E. The ointments should be applied in all the places where you expect the stretch marks on back to form during your pregnancy.
- Drink lots of water to ensure that the body is hydrated at all times. Hydration helps with the inner moisture
- Do not take too much alcohol and caffeine, as these are diuretics that suck out body moisture
- Regularly apply moisturizers to help with your skin elasticity
- Ensure you consume a diet rich in nutrients such as zinc which assists with skin elasticity
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks on Back
Stretch marks on the back are visible lines that appear on the skin surface, and often have an off-color hue. They are mainly found in the area bordering the abdominal wall, but can also be located on the buttocks, upper arms, breasts, and thighs.
The lines can make you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about your appearance, especially when in public areas. Luckily, a few home remedies can be used to get rid of the stretch marks on back fast and naturally.
The oil is used in treating skin conditions such as age spots, wrinkles, pimples, moles, fine lines and dark spots, and is very good at dealing with the stretch marks.
- Take a generous amount of castor oil and apply it to the areas with the lines
- Gently massage the oil into the lines in circular motions for between five and ten minutes
- Once applies, take a thin, cotton cloth and use it to wrap the area
- Take a heating pad, or a hot water bottle and apply heat to the wrapped area for around thirty minutes
- Repeat the steps each day for at least thirty days to note positive results
2. Aloe Vera
It is the go-to natural remedy for many skin problems. It contains soothing and healing properties that come in handy when dealing with stretch marks on back. You can apply it in several ways.
- Take the Aloe Vera and directly apply it to the area that has been affected
- Leave the gel in place for fifteen minutes
- Rinse it with lukewarm water
Alternatively, you can:
- Make a mixture using quarter cup of Aloe Vera gel and some oil from vitamin E capsules, and oil from Vitamin A capsules
- Take the mix and massage it to the affected area.
- Rub it in until it gets fully absorbed
- Repeat the process daily
3. Egg whites remedy for stretch marks
Eggs act as a very good source of protein. When you want to get rid of the stretch marks, you will need to use the egg whites only, as they contain proteins and amino acids
- Take two eggs and remove their whites
- Gently whip them using a fork
- Take some water and clean the skin surface that has been affected
- Use a makeup brush to apply the egg whites
- Allow them to dry completely before rinsing with water
- Once dry, apply some olive oil to the area to keep it moisturized
- Repeat daily for at least two weeks
4. Lemon juice fades stretchmarks fast
Stretch marks on the back can also be reduced using lemon juice. This juice is naturally acidic, and this helps in healing and reducing acne, scars, and stretch marks. It also fades the scars since it has skin lightening properties.
- Take some lemon juice and rub it to the lines in circular motions
- Allow it enough time to soak into the skin for a minimum of ten minutes
- Proceed to rinse it off using warm water
Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice with cucumber juice and apply the resulting solution to the affected area.
5. Sugar scrub to shed off stretch marks on back
Sugar, and not just any other sugar, but white sugar is among the best remedies for reducing and eliminating the unwanted lines on your skin. The sugar is used to exfoliate the skin.
- Take a single tablespoon of raw sugar and combine it with some almond oil
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the above mixture
- Mix them well
- Rub to the skin area with the stretch marks
- Use it on your skin every day before taking a bath
- Follow the process for a month
6. Potato juice
The juice from potatoes contains minerals and vitamins that help foster growth and helps in restoring skin cells. This juice, when used topically, can help you get rid of stretch marks fast since it has fading properties.
- Take a standard sized potato and slash it into very thick slices
- Take a piece and gently rub it on the area with the stretch marks for at least five minutes
- Confirm that the starch in the potatoes has covered the stretch marks
- Give the juice sometime for it to dry before washing it off using warm water
7. Alfalfa natural treatment for back stretch marks
The leaves from alfalfa have eight essential amino acids, which are generally good for skin health. The leaves also contain Vitamins E and K and are very rich in protein thus nourishes the skin very well.
- Take the alfalfa leaves and grind them to a powder
- Take some chamomile oil and it to the powder
- Take the resulting paste and gently rub it to the affected area at least three times each day
- Repeat these daily for a few weeks until you notice an improvement
8. Use cocoa butter to remove stretch marks
It is another home remedy that is very essential when it comes to dealing with the stretch marks. Given that, it is a natural moisturizer it nourishes the skin and helps reduce the appearance of your stretch marks.
- You need to apply a generous amount of cocoa butter over the area that has been affected two times each day for a period of three months
- Alternatively, you can
- Make a mixture using one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, half a cup of cocoa butter, one teaspoon of vitamin E oil, one apricot oil and two teaspoons of grated beeswax.
- Take the mixture and gently heat it until the wax melts.
- You can always store the blend in a container that is airtight for long-term use
- Make sure to apply it on the affected area three times each day
- The mixture will help make the skin smooth and hydrated
9. Olive oil
The oil contains lots of antioxidants and nutrients, which help in improving skin conditions such as stretch marks on back. It also helps in keeping the skin moisturized, while at the same time exfoliating it.
- Warm some extra-virgin oil and apply it to affected area
- It helps in improving the circulation of blood and reduces the visibility of the stretch marks on back to a great extent
- Leave it in the affected area for at least thirty minutes to allows the vitamins present in the oil to get absorbed by your skin
10. Water, hydrate your body
It is critical to down lots of water as it helps keep the body hydrated, and thus protects your skin from all types of skin problems. Water also aids in detoxification and helps make it supple, thereby restoring elasticity.
11. Apricot scrub and mask
Apricots are very useful in treating scratch marks on back. Apricot is one of the best scrubs and can be used to remove stretch marks over the long time. It can work on old stretch marks. Here’s how to get rid of back stretch marks using apricot scrub.
- Take three apricots
- Cut each in half and remove its seeds
- Take each half and grind it into a paste
- Take the paste and apply it to the stretch marks
- You should not touch it for at least twenty minutes
- Once this time has elapsed, take some lukewarm water and rinse the area
- Follow this process for one month for you to see some results
12. Tea Tree Oil
The oil comes with anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiviral properties ideal for treating any type of skin conditions
You will need to massage the tea tree oil into the affected area each day
13. Physical Exercises
Physical exercises such as sit-ups, abdominal crunches, and swimming help in toning the muscles below the skin surface and in the process helps get rid of the scratch marks on back.
14. Vitamin K
The vitamin is very helpful when it comes to preventing the occurrence of scars on your dermis.
What makes vitamin K ideal is that it is present in most green vegetables such as pickled cucumbers, spring onions, and cabbages.
To help get rid of the stretch marks on bark, you will need to make a salad from all these vegetables and consume the salad daily for at least a month or two.
15. Glycerin and Lemon
Glycerin helps in keeping the skin moisturized while lemon is rich in citrus acid. Apply some lemon juice to affected areas.
Let it dry and then wash it off. Once you have rinsed the area, you will need to apply some glycerin to keep the area smooth and moisturized.
16. Herbal Solution
You can prepare an herbal solution, which can help with the stretch marks on back.
- Take one tablespoon of calendula oil and combine it with a tablespoon of wheat germ oil
- Take the mix and apply it to the areas with the stretch marks
- Repeat the process three times a day for at least thirty days for positive results
How to Treat Stretch Marks on Back
Most scratch marks on the back cannot be noticed from afar, and will often fade off with time. If you are uncomfortable because of the stretch marks, and the home remedies have not been effective in treating them, you can try the following.
Makeup or Cosmetic camouflage is readily available in pharmacies and is sold over the counter.
The makeup can be used on a small portion of your skin, and will usually last between two and three days.
2. Lotions, Creams, and Gels
Many manufacturers providing these products claim that they can get rid of stretch marks on back.
However, it is not possible to determine whether these products can help prevent the occurrence of stretch marks.
A majority of the products generally work like skin moisturizers and can be purchased at most supermarkets, beauty shops, pharmacies, and health shops.
It is recommended that you apply them when your stretch marks are purple or red in color.
3. Laser Therapy
The therapy cannot get rid of the stretch marks completely, but it does help them make fade, thus making them unnoticeable.
Different types of laser therapy are used in removing the marks.
One type of laser therapy is pulsed dye laser treatment. The therapy is painless and is recommended for use when the stretch marks are at their earliest stage when they are still red or purple in color.
The blood vessels that are beneath the marks absorb the energy produced by the laser. Once they absorb the energy, they collapse, thus making the red or purple color disappear completely, or turning it into a white color.
4. Cosmetic Surgery
Though it is one of the treatments methods for stretch marks on back, it is often very expensive and is not highly recommended.
For a person who has a large amount of skin on the abdomen where there are many stretch marks, a tummy tuck can be carried out.
Tummy tuck also known as abdominoplasty is a procedure used to get rid of all the excess skin around your belly, and in the process eliminates the stretch marks as well.
Given that the surgery is carried out to improve the appearance of a person, it is not available in many facilities, as it also brings with it a number of associated risks, and has the potential to cause permanent scarring.
Some people find it very distressing to have stretch marks on back. In case you find yourself with stretch marks and get depressed about them, it is recommended that you see your GP so that they do not start affecting your daily activities.
The stretch marks on back are unsightly, uncomfortable to have and may lead to a feeling of self-consciousness.
The stretch marks on back are believed to be caused by pregnancy, growth spurt as well as a rapid weight gain. All these are circumstances that will cause the skin on your lower back to stretch way beyond its standard levels and may lead to ruptured vessels and fibers.
When you have high cortisol levels, they will interfere with the production of collagen and hence make your body less elastic than it should be.
Given that the treatment methods, such as the one discussed above tend to be a bit expensive, it is recommended that one tries out the natural home remedies first. The natural home remedies will not only improve the skin appearance, but it can also reduce the appearance of stretch marks on back, and help the skin have a healthy look.