A stuffy nose comes with a lot of discomfort. To help ease it, we have compiled different ways on how to clear a stuffy nose fast, overnight or instantly (immediately). This will also help you relieve infant stuffy nose. These include homemade, herbal, natural and over the counter remedies. When used consistently and in the right way, they will help quicken the nose unclogging process.
How to clear a stuffy nose fast
How do you clear a stuffy nose? When the blood vessels found in the inner lining membrane of the nose get inflamed as a result of allergies, colds or flu, you are likely to get a congested or stuffy nose. When this occurs, you are left with an unsettling feeling.
With excess mucus in your nose, breathing becomes a problem and it could render you sleepless. Other than the discomfort and annoying feeling in adults, this poses no harm. However, a stuffy can be life threatening in infants. We discuss how to clear a stuffy nose fast using readily available products.
Saline Rinse to clear a stuffy nose quickly
Saline rinses are the best way of clearing a clogged nose. With this method, you make use of a salt solution to cleanse the nose. The water helps to flush out mucus and bacteria trapped in the nasal passage while at the same time soothing inflammation. This can be used in different ways using convenient application devices. You can buy the solution or make your own at home by adding a tablespoon of salt to a cup of warm water.
- With the saline solution at hand, lean over a sink ensuring the tip of the lower nostril points to the drain.
- Using a syringe bulb, neti pot or spray bottle irrigate your nose by letting water flow into the nasal passage through the upper nostril and out through the lower side.
- Allow all the water to drain out before repeating the same with the other side. Repeat procedure up to three times per day until the nose is unclogged.
Steam to get rid of a stuffy nose instantly
The use of steam to ease congestion instantly is quite effective and will help you in breathing better. It helps to thin mucus and get rid of inflammation thus decongesting the nasal system. This can be made use of in different ways.
- Get into the bathroom and turn on the hot shower allowing the water to run. Ensure the bathroom is all locked up so that no steam escapes. Inhale the steam which should fill the bathroom within no time. You can make use of this as you shower as well.
- Fill a vessel with boiling water and place it on a table. Take a sit behind it and with your head covered with a towel, lean over the vessel to inhale the steam. You can add a few drops of an essential oil it make the steam more effective. Be careful not to scald your face.
- In case you have a stuffy nose at night, run a vaporizer or humidifier while sleeping. This will keep you breathing with ease until morning.
Warm compress to unclog nose fast or get rid of a stuffy nose overnight
Putting a warm compress on your nose can help ease a clogged nose. Simply wet a wash cloth and heat it up to the level you can withstand. While lying down, cover the bridge of your nose with the cloth until it gets cold. Keep reheating it and engage in other relaxing activities such as listening to music until you feel the effect.
Nasal adhesive strips remedy for stuffy nose
These strips are meant to be placed on the bridge of the nose so as to manually widen the nostrils. This way your breathing is made easier. At times they are also marketed as anti-snoring strips.
Eating spicy food
When you have sinus congestion, make a point of consuming spicy food to get relieve from the stuffy nose quickly. When this is done, there is a high likelihood that your nose will be running by the end of the meal. Spices will help to thin the mucus and at times induce sneezing which in turn unclogs the nose.
Chicken soup has been used for long as a relief for cold symptoms. It effectively gets rid of a stuffy nose very fast. Drink this as frequently as you can to decongest your nasal passage. Vegetable soup is also another great alternative.
Another simple way to relief a stuffy nose without medicine is by drinking enough water. Staying hydrated is crucial if you are suffering a blocked nose since dehydration will leave your nasal passage dry and could be the cause for further clogging. Drink a lot of fluids to eliminate this. This includes plain water and fresh juices intake within the day.
Decongestants and Antihistamine clear stuffy nose at night
At times, the only way to clear up the stuffy nose is to get rid of the underlying cause. If yours is caused by a cold, take an over the counter decongestant.
This will help to ease any inflammation and swelling in the nasal passage. You can have a decongestant pill which is taken orally or settle for a decongestant spray. In case you settle for the sprays, only use them for three consecutive days and not more. An antihistamine is recommended as a relief for a stuffy nose due to allergy.
How to Clear a Stuffy Nose Naturally at Home
Clearing a stuffy nose at home does not have to involve remedies that we have to make. There are various ways on how to clear a stuffy nose naturally at home. This makes use of readily available products that are available in our kitchens.
These items are cheap and the fact that they are used in our day to day life makes them easy to use as relief for a stuffy nose. Below are some easy ways on how to clear a stuffy nose naturally while at home.
Use black pepper to clear a stuffy nose instantly
Black pepper is known to be highly beneficial in relieving a blocked nose. It helps to induce sneezing and thus loosen mucus and allergens for easy removal.
- Mix some black pepper with a few drops of sesame oil.
- Using your finger, apply this under your nose and breathe in the aroma.
- Take your time doing it until you can sneeze.
- Do not try to suppress the sneezing and repeat as may be necessary.
- You could also add some black pepper and tablespoon of honey in a cup of boiling water and allow it steep for at least 15 minutes. Stir the mixture well and drink it.
Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions are great natural remedies for stuffy nose. Garlic has antiviral and antifungal properties that help in eradicating the causes of the congestion while onions contain sulfur that helps in thinning mucus.
- Peel off and cut an onion into half and smell it.
- Get a garlic clove and chew it raw to relieve nasal discomfort.
- You could also boil some garlic cloves in water and add half a teaspoon of turmeric to the solution. Drink this up daily until you see changes.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This great kitchen product is an effective way of clearing up a congested nasal passage.
- To a cup of warm water, add one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of vinegar.
- Drink up the resulting solution three times a day until the congestion is relieved.
Basil cure for blocked nose at night
Basil leaves are also known to help in getting rid of a stuffy nose.
- Chew a few basil leaves immediately after waking up before you have your breakfast as well as at night before going to sleep.
- Basil tea will also work wonders. Take a cup in the morning and in the evening until the symptoms are alleviated.
Ginger is not only a great spice but a relief for clogged nose as well. There are various ways through which you can reap its benefits.
- Take a cup of ginger tea whenever you feel congested.
- You could also add your freshly grated ginger in a glass of warm water.
This has a great fragrance and has decongesting and anti-inflammatory properties that go a long way in unblocking the nasal passage. Mustard oil can also be used in the same way.
- On a clean wash cloth or handkerchief, pour some drops of this essential oil and sniff at it.
- You could also pour a few of its drops on your pillow to relief nasal congestion at night.
Tomato juice helps to promote mucus drainage in the nasal system. By so doing, it acts as a remedy for stuffy nose.
- Blend some spicy tomato tea by boiling a cup of tomato juice.
- Add to this a tablespoon of chopped garlic, a pinch of celtic sea salt, lime juice and hot sauce.
- Drink this while still hot two times daily.
Also known as methi, fenugreek seeds contain anti-inflammatory agents. The remedy works to clear the nasal membranes and thins mucus for easy drainage. This though is not to be used in pregnancy as it could induce contractions.
- Boil a tablespoon of crushed fenugreek seeds in a glass of water.
- Drink the solution when still hot to relief congestion.
How to Clear Infant Stuffy Nose Fast
Nasal congestion in infants can be dangerous as they are yet to learn how to breathe using their mouths. It may occur frequently because babies are yet to master the art of blowing their nose. The congestion makes it hard for breastfeeding babies to feed properly. With this being the case, how can the situation be averted? There are various ways on how to clear infant stuffy nose fast. These will help the baby go back to their normal routine.
Saline drops for clearing stuffy nose in babies
Using saline drops is safe for infants and will help loosen up the mucus. You can purchase the solution at a drugstore or make your own at home.
- Dissolve quarter a teaspoon of salt in half a cup of warm water.
- Make the infant rest on a flat surface on which a towel is rolled beneath.
- Place two drops of saline solution in each nostril and wait for it to drain out.
How to get rid of a stuffy nose by draining mucus
In case you suspect that the cause of stuffy nose in your infant could be mucus, you can conduct manual removal. Turn the baby on their stomach to encourage drainage. If this does not work, there are two other ways of doing this:
- Use a nasal aspirator or bulb syringe to remove the mucus. Start by pushing out some air and inserting the aspirator in the nostril watching out not to take in too much. After this release the bulb and wipe off the mucus on tissue.
- Another method you can use in case you do not have an aspirator is to roll some tissue into a cone. Swab this around the nostrils very carefully to get the mucus out. Never use cotton buds in infants. The use of tissue is also not encouraged.
Onions contain sulfur that draws out fluids and mucus from the body. Webmd.com recommends that you decongest a baby’s stuffed nose with onions. These will help to loosen it up without any negative side effects. Slice up a fresh onion and place it on a plate. Place this plate close to his crib so they can inhale it.
Steam is the best way to clear a stuffy nose
When a baby has a congested nose, you can have the bathroom steamed up and go into it with your baby. Hold them inside for a while so they can inhale the steam. This will help to thin the mucus and clear up the nasal passage.